Sunday, January 7, 2007

I was able to get to the homebrewing store yesterday to get some supplies. I made a batch of Aussie Light Ale. I want to set up a section on this site to track my batches. I guess yet another reason to switch from Blogger and host it myself. Until I do, here's the ingredients.

Malt Extract: 3.3 lbs Gold LME, 1 lb DME
Specialty Grains: 8 oz Carapils Malt, 8 oz crystal 10L Malt
Hops: 1.5 oz Tettnang pellet hops
Yeast: Dry yeast

I steeped the grain in 1.75 gallons of water for 30 minutes at 155 degrees, then turned off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Then I stirred in the malt extract and brought to a boil. I then added .75 oz of the hops and boiled for 60 minutes. During the last two minutes I added the remaining hops. My new wort chiller wouldn't fit in the pot I was using, so I transfered the wort to the fermenter, got the wort to around 80 degrees, then added ice cold water to fill the fermenter to 5 gallons. While doing this, I re-hydrated the yeast for about 15 minutes in warm water and added this to the fermenter before I sealed it up.

Now I need to find a bigger pot, hopefully at least a 4 gallon. The starting gravity was supposed to be in the range of 1.035 - 1.039, but mine was 1.022. Either I'm not using my hydrometer correctly or this is going to be very weak beer.

No comments: