Wednesday, May 11, 2005

I was at Menards tonight and was reminded of an incident someone had. Menards wouldn't take a check for $400 because he didn't have "proper" identification. Coincidently, he recently lost his drivers license, but had the renewal papers, along with another non-government issued picture ID. I'd say proper enough. But the thing is, I've been going to Menards for years and always use a credit card. They've never checked my ID, even when it's obvious I don't sign my name.

This got me thinking. Is it easier to forge a credit card or a check? With a credit card, you need either particular personal information of someone to apply, or access to the physical card, both of which aren't too hard. With a check, you could print them at home with the victims account numbers. Either method of payment would be easy to forge, but maybe Menards is good to at least confirm checks.

Anyway, who still uses checks, Karl?

No comments: