Wednesday, March 1, 2006

I've kinda known in the back of my head that the ADT security wasn't working since we got Vonage VOIP telephone service. The phone lines in the house are wired with no scheme in mind. There's parallels, daisy chains, directs ... pretty much a mess. Anyway, since I disconnected the land line, no telephone jacks work and the cordless phone base is sitting next to the VOIP router in the server closet. Well, the security is spliced into the phone lines near far from the server closet. After rewiring the security to the VOIP router, ADT still receives no signal. Calling them was no help, as they "don't support VOIP". I've read it's really a hit or miss whether it'll work or not. I do have one more trick up my sleeve. Currently, the VOIP box is behind the main router. I'm going to try putting it in front of it and see if that works. The only thing stopping me is that I need to go offline to make the proper connections, but the way the broadband flows in this house, there's never a time it's idle. Maybe I'll need to wake up at 2:00am...

No comments: