Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Don’t you hate when products try to become too smart or have too many functions in an attempt to make you life more convenient? I see this mostly in Microsoft products. For example, VBA has been pretty much steady since version 5, but there are features that are so complex and have to be set up just right for everything to work. Sometimes I’m guilty of this as well. When I build an application, I assume the user is a complete idiot, and that I must code a feature to automate every conceivable possibility. But when I use an application like that, I tend to do a lot of manual overriding to get the result I’m looking for. Well, I noticed this with the copy machine at work. It probably costs about as much as my car, but it takes more work trying to figure it out than just using the crappy one right next to it. In fact, I modded the new one to be nothing more than a common stapler and a paper clip holder.

No comments: